Thursday, 30 July 2026

The Midlife Energy Reset: 7 Ways to Feel Like Yourself Again


As a woman in my 50s who has come through the menopausal transition, I understand how unsettling it can feel when your energy begins to change.

I am a Chinese woman living in London, and I have experienced many of the challenges that can arrive during midlife: menopause fatigue, disrupted sleep, female brain fog, emotional overwhelm, changes in my body and the uncomfortable feeling that my old wellness routines no longer worked.

For a while, I thought I simply needed to try harder. I pushed myself to remain productive and expected my body to keep pace with my ambitions. However, the harder I pushed, the more depleted I became.

Eventually, I realised that I did not need more discipline. I needed a different relationship with my body.

Growing up with Chinese cultural influences taught me to see health as a matter of balance. Rest and activity belong together. Food should nourish rather than punish. Small daily choices matter more than occasional extremes. Most importantly, we should listen to the body before it has to shout.

Living in London has also exposed me to many global approaches to health and wellness. Over time, I have learned to combine the accessible parts of Chinese wellness wisdom with practical, evidence-informed guidance on sleep, movement, nutrition, emotional wellbeing and healthy ageing.

I do not believe women need to choose between traditional wisdom and modern healthcare. We can respect what generations before us understood about daily balance while also making informed decisions with qualified healthcare professionals.

This is the beginner’s guide I wish I had when my own midlife transition began.

1. Stop Treating Exhaustion as a Personal Failure

The first step towards reclaiming your midlife energy is to stop blaming yourself for feeling tired.

Menopause is a natural life stage rather than a disease. Nevertheless, the hormonal changes associated with perimenopause and menopause can affect physical, emotional, mental and social wellbeing.

The World Health Organization explains that menopause experiences differ significantly. Some women have few symptoms, while others experience sleep difficulties, hot flushes, night sweats, mood changes, anxiety and symptoms that disrupt their quality of life.

Therefore, menopause fatigue does not mean you have become lazy, weak or less capable.

In my own experience, changing the question changed everything. Instead of asking, “Why can’t I cope like I used to?” I began asking, “What is my body asking me to change?”

Chinese wellness traditions encourage us to notice patterns before they become crises. In everyday language, this means observing your energy, sleep, digestion, mood, temperature, concentration and recovery.

Start by keeping a simple energy diary for seven days. Each morning, afternoon and evening, rate your energy from one to ten. Record how you slept, what you ate, how you moved and whether you felt calm, rushed or overwhelmed.

Do not use this diary to criticise yourself. Use it to become curious.

Persistent low energy can have many possible causes besides menopause. These may include anaemia, thyroid conditions, diabetes, depression, medication effects or sleep disorders. Consequently, unexplained or worsening fatigue deserves professional assessment.

Personalised wellness should complement appropriate healthcare, not replace it.

2. Protect Your Sleep

Midlife sleep problems can create a painful cycle. You feel exhausted during the day, yet you struggle to sleep deeply at night. The following morning, brain fog, irritability and low motivation make everything feel harder.

Hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety and changing life responsibilities can all interfere with sleep. At the same time, poor sleep can intensify emotional overwhelm and persistent low energy.

I used to think that I could compensate for poor sleep by becoming more disciplined. In reality, I was asking an exhausted body to work even harder.

Chinese wellness wisdom treats rest as an essential part of maintaining health. Rest is not something we should earn only after completing every task. It is one of the foundations that allows us to function well.

Begin by creating a regular waking time. Next, introduce a short evening routine that tells your body the active part of the day is ending. You might:

-Dim the lights during the final hour before bed. 

-Move your phone away from your bedside.

-Keep your bedroom comfortably cool and dark.

-Avoid heavy meals immediately before sleeping.

-Notice whether late caffeine or alcohol disturbs your sleep.

-Take a warm shower or bath.

-Practise five minutes of slow breathing or meditation.

-Write down tomorrow’s tasks instead of carrying them mentally.

Choose one or two practices rather than attempting everything at once. Consistency usually matters more than creating a perfect routine.

Furthermore, do not assume that every sleep problem can be solved through willpower. If insomnia, night sweats, anxiety, pain or breathing difficulties regularly disturb your sleep, consult a qualified healthcare professional.The International Menopause Society provides global, evidence-based guidance covering sleep, lifestyle and treatment options as part of its recommendations for women’s midlife health.

3. Eat to Nourish Yourself

When our bodies change after 45, many of us respond by eating less, skipping meals or following an extreme diet. We may believe that stricter control will reverse menopause weight gain or restore our previous energy.

However, constantly fighting your body can leave you feeling more depleted and less connected to what you genuinely need.

Traditional Chinese home cooking often centres on regular meals made with varied, seasonal ingredients. Food is not only counted or restricted; it is used to support everyday wellbeing.

For me, a nourishing meal begins with a simple question: “Will this help me feel steady and supported for the next few hours?”

A balanced meal might include:

-A source of protein, such as fish, eggs, tofu, beans, lentils, chicken or yoghurt

-A variety of vegetables

-Fibre-rich carbohydrates, such as oats, brown rice, potatoes or whole grains

-Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, olive oil or avocado

-Calcium-rich foods that support bone health

Warm, gently cooked food can also feel comforting, particularly during colder weather or when cold and raw meals leave you feeling bloated or unsatisfied. Soups, porridge, steamed vegetables and simple rice bowls are familiar parts of Chinese food culture that can be adapted to ingredients available anywhere.

However, warm food is a preference and cultural practice, not a universal medical prescription. Your body, health needs, climate and culture should guide your choices.

Instead of following another restrictive plan, observe how your meals affect your energy, mood and digestion. Notice whether you feel satisfied, alert and steady or hungry and exhausted shortly afterwards.

If you live with diabetes, digestive disease, food allergies or another medical condition, consult an appropriately qualified dietitian or clinician before making significant dietary changes.

4. Build Strength Without Exhausting Yourself

Exercise after 45 should not be punishment for weight gain. It should help you develop the strength, mobility and confidence required for the life you want.

During and after menopause, women can experience changes in bone density, body composition and physical function. Therefore, regular movement and strength-building activities form an important part of healthy ageing.

Nevertheless, doing more is not always better.

When I already felt depleted, intense exercise sometimes left me with even less energy. I had to learn the difference between movement that challenged my body and movement that drained it.

A realistic weekly routine might include:

Two manageable strength sessions

Regular walking

Gentle mobility or stretching

A calming movement practice

At least one genuine recovery day

If you are currently inactive, begin with a ten-minute walk. You do not need an expensive gym membership or a complicated training programme.

Beginner strength movements can include standing up from a chair, wall push-ups, supported squats or exercises using a resistance band. If you have osteoporosis, joint problems, heart disease or a previous injury, seek professional guidance before beginning a new programme.

Tai chi can also offer an accessible connection between Chinese tradition and modern life. It combines slow movement, breathing, balance and concentration. Rather than pushing the body towards exhaustion, it encourages steady and controlled movement.

A systematic review and meta-analysis has examined the effects of exercise interventions on sleep in menopausal women. Although individual results vary, the wider evidence supports treating movement as part of a complete approach to midlife health.

The goal is not to prove how hard you can work. The goal is to become stronger without using all the energy you need for the rest of your life.

5. Balance Activity With Genuine Recovery

Many women over 45 are supporting children, caring for ageing parents, managing households and carrying significant professional responsibility. Sometimes, “rest” means answering messages while sitting on the sofa.

That is not always genuine recovery.

One of the most useful lessons I have taken from Chinese wellness culture is that activity and restoration belong together. Nature moves through cycles of light and darkness, growth and stillness, effort and retreat. Human beings also need rhythm.

However, chronic stress in women often comes from remaining in a state of constant readiness. Even when nothing urgent is happening, the mind may still be anticipating the next demand.

Instead of waiting until you feel completely exhausted, schedule small moments of recovery into your day.

For example, you could:

-Take five slow breaths before opening your email.

-Sit quietly for ten minutes after lunch.

-Walk outdoors without listening to anything.

-Leave a short gap between appointments.

-Put your phone away while drinking tea.

-Choose one evening each week without obligations.

-Ask for help before reaching breaking point.

Initially, these actions may seem too small to make a difference. Yet small pauses can help interrupt the habit of pushing continuously.

Emotional wellbeing does not mean remaining calm and positive at all times. It means recognising what affects you and developing reliable ways to return to a steadier state.

If anxiety, low mood or emotional overwhelm persists or interferes with daily life, seek support from a qualified mental health professional or doctor.

6. Protect Your Energy With Better Boundaries

Not every energy problem begins inside the body. Sometimes, our exhaustion reflects the number of responsibilities, expectations and emotional demands we carry.

Many women have spent decades being dependable. We solve problems, anticipate other people’s needs and keep life moving. However, competence can become a trap. Because we can carry so much, people assume we always will.

I began to understand that reclaiming my energy also required reclaiming my choices.

Ask yourself:

1,Which responsibilities genuinely belong to me?

2, What am I doing from love, and what am I doing from guilt?

3, Which relationships leave me consistently depleted?

4, Where do I say yes while my body is saying no?

5, What would I stop doing if I believed my needs mattered?

A boundary does not need to be confrontational. It can sound like:

“I cannot do that this week.”

“I need time to think before I answer.”

“I can help for one hour.”

“I need support with this.”

“At this stage of my life, that no longer works for me.”

At first, setting a boundary may feel uncomfortable. Nevertheless, discomfort does not mean the boundary is wrong. It may simply mean you are changing a long-established pattern. Midlife can become a powerful opportunity to move away from proving your value and towards protecting what genuinely matters.

7. Create a Personalised Wellness Rhythm

A retreat can provide space, insight and inspiration. However, lasting transformation depends on what happens after you return home.This is why I prefer the idea of a wellness rhythm rather than a rigid wellness routine.

A rigid routine may collapse when work becomes demanding, family members need us or menopause symptoms change. In contrast, a rhythm allows us to adapt while continuing to protect our essential needs.

Choose one small action in each area:

-Sleep: Maintain a reasonably consistent waking time.

-Nutrition: Prepare one nourishing meal in advance.

-Strength: Complete two short resistance sessions each week.

-Movement: Take a ten-minute walk after a meal.

-Recovery: Create one screen-free period every day.

-Emotional wellbeing: Pause before automatically saying yes.

-Healthcare: Arrange an appointment for persistent symptoms.

Follow this simple rhythm for two weeks before adding more.In addition, measure progress by more than your weight. Ask whether you are sleeping more consistently, thinking more clearly, recovering more easily, feeling calmer or becoming physically stronger.

There is no single best menopause wellness plan for every woman. Your medical history, cultural background, environment, symptoms, responsibilities and preferences all matter.That is the heart of personalised care.

A Simple Seven-Day Beginning

If you feel overwhelmed, start with this gentle plan:

Day 1: Record your energy in the morning, afternoon and evening.

Day 2: Create a calming 20-minute bedtime routine.

Day 3: Eat one balanced meal without working or looking at your phone.

Day 4: Take a ten-minute walk and notice how you feel afterwards.

Day 5: Practise five minutes of quiet breathing or gentle stretching.

Day 6: Say no to one unnecessary demand.

Day 7: Review the week and choose the two practices that helped you most.

Remember: You do not need to transform your entire life in seven days. Instead, use this period to learn what your body responds to.

Reclaiming Energy in a New Way

Now that I have come through the menopausal transition, I no longer believe wellness means forcing my body to behave as it did decades ago.For me, midlife wellness means understanding my changing body, protecting my energy reserves and making choices that support the years ahead.

It also means bringing together different parts of my identity. I value the practical Chinese wisdom that shaped my early understanding of balance, food and rest. At the same time, living in London has taught me to appreciate global perspectives, individual choice and responsible, evidence-informed healthcare.

If you are experiencing menopause fatigue, midlife sleep problems, female brain fog, emotional overwhelm or chronic stress, remember this: your body is not betraying you.

It may be inviting you to live differently.

Begin gently. Pay attention to your own patterns. Seek professional support when you need it. Then build a way of living that helps you feel strong, clear and fully present—not only during a retreat, but in your everyday life.

Your midlife energy has not disappeared. You may simply need to reclaim it in a new way.


Author’s note: I share these ideas as a Chinese woman in my 50s living in London. Having experienced the menopausal transition myself, I draw on lived experience and the accessible principles of Chinese wellness culture. I am not a medical professional, and every woman’s experience is different.

Medical disclaimer: This article provides general educational information and is not medical advice. Persistent fatigue and significant menopause symptoms can have multiple causes. Consult a qualified healthcare professional for personalised assessment and treatment. Before using Chinese herbal products, supplements or complementary therapies, discuss their quality, safety and possible interactions with an appropriately qualified practitioner.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Your Brain Really Destined to Age After 50? Science Suggests Otherwise

  Many of us imagine aging as a one-way journey: memory becomes less reliable,  reactions slow down and the brain gradually begins to shrink...